Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

the measure of love

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

I've always focused on love casting out fear. Tonight, as I ponder the many posts from missionary moms trying to support their children while serving with prickly companions, I noticed the part about fear and torment. These aren't difference of opinions or clashing cultures posts. These are instances of outright disrespect, torment, and meanness.  

In Matt 22:37-39 Jesus commands us to love God and love others as ourselves. If I don't love myself, what is my measure for others?  

It seems to me that "he that feareth" torments. "He that feareth is not made perfect in love." He that fears has no confidence in God and Christ. Fear makes us act out against others. The cure is love. Love for God. Love for ourselves. With those in place, we can't help but love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment