Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

come to know your Father

God Knows and Loves You  
By Elder Alan T. Phillips

Religion is not only about our relationship with God; it is also about our relationship with each other. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland explained that the English word religion comes from the Latin religare, meaning “to tie” or, more literally, “to re-tie.” Thus, “true religion [is] the tie that binds us to God and to each other.”

President Russell M. Nelson teaches, “The Savior’s message is clear: His true disciples build, lift, encourage, persuade, and inspire.”

Are we passively attending church or actively creating communities whose purpose is to worship, remember Christ, and minister to one another?
**

This made me think of a conversation that I've had several times. As parents we try to figure out how to advise our children as they get older. We struggle to find a balance between offering our testimony and experience without treating tweens, teens, and adults like little children. As a parent I might paraphrase "am i passively telling my child my opinion or actively trying to help them come to Christ and seek his will in making decisions ". One thing I constantly remember is Matt 7:9-11. If I love my children in my imperfect way, how much more does God love them? It's the same with missionary work. It's not my job to change or convince people. It's my job to open the door for the Spirit. It's my job to offer a relationship with Jesus Christ. 

Elder Phillips says, "Jesus Christ wants you to know and have a relationship with your Father in Heaven."

This change in perspective has changed me. It's changed me as a person, mother, sister, daughter, friend, and missionary. It's allowed me to share God's love without pressure or expectation. It's given me more faith and trust in the Lord. My trust and appreciation of God, my Father has increased. My understanding of our relationship has been expanded. I hope you'll seek a closer relationship with Jesus Christ and allow Him to bring you to our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment