Pages

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Let all things lead you to Christ

While our subject might be about families or service or temples or a recent mission, everything in our worship should point to the Lord Jesus Christ. - Neil L. Andersen

Doc & Cov 88:6
2 Nephi 25:26
Moses 6:63

From a byu talk:
My late friend Robert J. Matthews, who taught religion here at BYU, used to say, “If I speak by the Spirit and you listen by the Spirit, you will hear things better than I say them.” I pray that that can happen today. 

Bro parker tells of teaching seminary. At the beginning of the year, he asked them to, "Write down your honest feelings about religion—about God, Christ, Joseph Smith, the First Vision, the Church, or anything you want."  He then instructed them to fold it over, write their name on it and staple it closed.  He filed them away without looking at the contents.  Over the school year, they studied scriptures together.   He encouraged them to pray out loud, on their knees 3 times a day.  After 9 months of school, He had them write their feelings about God, Christ, etc the same as at the beginning of the school year.  Then, he gave them back the paper from the beginning of the year.  This was for them to personally and not shared in class.  One young lady did show him her papers and the astounding transformation of her testimony. 
- Todd B Parker, "True Doctrine, Understood, Changes Attitudes and Behavior”

I wonder what it would be like to do that in a year, school year, mission, during a trial, etc.  I have started dating the notes in my gospel app.  It's interesting to see the different view points or building on understanding in various scriptures.  

Am I looking for Christ in all things?  Am I too distracted to see Christ all around me?  Most importantly, am I coming closer to Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment