Pages

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

a simple and repeated testimony

"Interestingly, repeating extensive examples of a language teaches a computer a language more effectively than does teaching a computer the rules of grammar. Similarly, our own direct, repeated experiences may be our best spiritual way to learn the gospel languages of warmth and reverence, service and sacrifice, and covenant belonging."
- Love Is Spoken Here  
By Elder Gerrit W. Gong

I think about how repeated readings of the same scriptures over and over again might get boring. The gospel seems to constantly advise the same things over and over: prayer, scriptures, and going to church.  

"Just as repetition and consistent effort are required to gain physical or mental capacity, the same is true in spiritual matters. Remember that the Prophet Joseph received the same visitor, Moroni, with exactly the same message four times in preparation for receiving the plates. I believe that weekly participation in sacred sacrament meetings has spiritual implications we do not fully understand. Pondering the scriptures regularly—rather than reading them occasionally—can substitute a superficial understanding for a sublime, life-changing enhancement of our faith."
-Foundations of Faith  
By Elder Quentin L. Cook

In honor of fast Sunday, I'll give my testimony. It's simple truths often repeated.  
I know God is our Father.
I know Jesus is His Son and our Brother. He lived, suffered, died, and took His body back up in the resurrection so that He could perfectly guide and care for us.
I know Joseph Smith was a prophet and translated the Book of Mormon with divine help.
I know the Book of Mormon is a true record and testimony of Jesus Christ. 
I know we are lead by a prophet today, Russell M Nelson. 
I know the priesthood is God's power on earth.
I know I still have so much to do but God has sent the Holy Ghost to guide me.  
I know I can do all things through Jesus Christ. 
I bear witness of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment