Pages

Monday, January 22, 2024

hearts and minds

"When we humbly share our testimony of the Lord through our words and actions, the Holy Ghost confirms to those with real intent, open hearts, and willing minds that Jesus is indeed the Christ."
Bearing Witness of Jesus Christ in Word and Actions  
By Elder Adilson de Paula Parrella

Alma 12:10
Moroni 10:4-5
Doctrine & Covenants 64:34

The first time I read this, it seemed to simply repeat the basic "missionary work accompanied by the Holy Ghost". Then I realised that it includes a responsibility on 3 sets of shoulders.  

Of course, we bear responsibility for bearing testimony. St. Francis of Assisi has often been quoted, “Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words.”

The Holy Ghost will always do His part. 

Lastly, hearts must be open and minds willing in order to recieve the message and the Holy Ghost.  

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes
"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
- Robert Louis Stevenson

It's our job to open the door for the Holy Ghost and keep our own minds and hearts open and willing. I've often had the Spirit fill my mouth in the moment I needed it. I've also had the Spirit shut my mouth when the hearts and minds attending weren't ready. Shutting my mouth is a bigger miracle than filling it. I'm grateful for the Spirit doing his part either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment