Pages

Thursday, February 1, 2024

do what you do know

"I am reminded as I approach you today of a scripture that was written to me in a letter by one of the missionaries in the North Carolina-Virginia Mission. It expresses the feelings in my heart and is taken from Alma, the 29th chapter, verses 9 and 10, where we find:

(Quotes Alma 29:9-10)

That we may all remember that arm is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen."

This 1.25 minutes was the entirety of an October 1972 conference talk titled, "An Instrument in the Hands of the Lord” By President Rex D. Pinegar Of the First Council of the Seventy

In the "follow Him" podcast they used 1 Nephi 17:9 (where shall I go to find ore) to demonstrate being an instrument in the hands of the Lord. Nephi didn’t know how to build a ship but he knew he'd need tools. That much he knew how to do.

It reminds me of the phrase so often said in response to, "Mom, I don’t know how to do this/where this goes/etc."
"Do what you do know. Then we'll talk about the rest"

I love the super short conference talk. He had just been called as a general authority for the first time. He probably didn’t ve much time to prep. He did what he could. He said what he knew.  

How often do we have something in front of us and we panic, "I don’t know what to do!" You are an instrument in the hands of the Lord. Not just when you're doing church stuff. You are His. He is always there to help. Just start with what you do know. The rest will come.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1RBbHKclELl7W40R4JhCBC?si=gJwj2LvVTgG5XT-oN3BHWw

No comments:

Post a Comment