Pages

Monday, April 15, 2024

talents and obedience

“Share your talents, for that which we willingly share, we keep.”  
Thomas S. Monson
"The Spirit of Relief Society"
April 1992

I found this quote at the bottom of a sweet story from the friend magazine, "The Calling", July 2011

It's about John Carling, who was called with Elijah Fordham to make the oxen for the Navoo Temple. Brother Carling uses his best ox, Taurus, as a model for the oxen. He used this particular ox because he was strong and obedient.  

Maybe talents and obedience don't go together. Maybe they do. I know sharing your talents can be scary for a lot if reasons. I know I'm often called upon to share what I consider basic knowledge rather than an actual talent. So many other people are more gifted in so many things but I'm the one asked. Maybe the most important word in Pres Monson's quote is willingly. It doesn’t matter how talented you are if you aren't willing to shsre it. Isn't that consecration? I guess talents and obedience do go together. Thanks for letting me wander about with it a bit so I could make the connection. 

Consecrating talents is obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment