Pages

Saturday, January 27, 2024

use the difficulty

I'm prepping a lesson for Sunday school and this is one of the sub-topics:

2 Nephi 2:1–4, 6–25 
God can turn my trials into blessings.

It's a common gospel topic. Usually, I reflect on the people I've been able to help through the death if loved ones because of lessons I learned at the passing of my dear family members. This time, a new association was made.  

My mindless Facebook scrolling is to thank for this. A video of an interview with Michael Caine. (Scrooge in Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite thing he's done. I'm sure that would disappoint him terribly.)  

In this interview he tells of a time he was rehearsing a play. He was supposed to enter a scene where a husband and wife were fighting. Their fight was completely improvised and they had started throwing things. A chair had lodged in the door that he was supposed to come through blocking it. When he peeked out and asked the director what to do, the director said to "use the difficulty". If it was a comedy, trip over the chair, for a dramatic scene he should pick it up and smash it.  

Micheal said he adopted this into his real life as well. Whatever trials come up, his family asks themselves how they can use the difficulty or how they can turn it to get something out of it. He said that even if you only get 1/4 of a percent advantage out of it you're ahead and you didn't let it get you down. If that's not a hospel principle fpund in the wild, I don't know what is.

Use the difficulty 
- Michael Caine

We have the advantage of God guiding and inspiring us. He will always show us how to use the difficulty.   

I can't upload the video so here's a link to where I found it: https://youtu.be/GAB89fOdA-I?si=991Nqqm6tY9Oq_Wb



No comments:

Post a Comment