Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

why religion?

1 Nephi 10:17
...I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things,...

In order to move forward with anything, a person needs to want to. What makes a person desirous to seek the Lord?  

Psychology says religion fills some basic needs that all people have. It sounds like humans have holes and are always looking for ways to fill them. Some people call it filling your cup. Psychology may have it right.  

Psalm 23:5 says "my cup runneth over" 
John 6:35 "he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
Alma 5:34 "partake of the fruit of the tree of life; yea, ye shall eat and drink of the bread and the waters of life freely"

There are many more scriptures with a similar theme. Feeding hunger, quenching thirst, filling needs. According to psychological studies, people seek or deny religion because they think it will or won't fill those holes. I guess the question is just how to show a person that their holes can be filled through Christ. Maybe the first question should be whether we've been filling our own holes with Christ.

Lehi showed his family that he turned to God to fill his own needs. Nephi believed his father, Sam believed Nephi. Laman and Lemuel never did. I don’t know why some believe and some don’t. It's worthy of some pondering. It may even be a perspective worth applying. What are my needs and am I filling them with Christ? I think if you start within, the rest works itself out.

Adding a couple vaguely related mo ie quotes for your entertainment 

No comments:

Post a Comment